Re: [Public WebGL] another proposal to temporarily expose some device/driver information only when really needed

On 10 May 2012 04:29, Mark Callow <callow_mark@hicorp.co.jp> wrote:

On 12/05/03 3:53, Ashley Gullen wrote:
I think this is a great idea and I'm desperate for something like this.  Our engine implements both a WebGL and Canvas 2D renderer, and currently the Canvas 2D renderer is never used in Chrome 18 due to Swiftshader.  I am keen to fall back to Canvas 2D instead of using Swiftshader but there is no way to do that.
Why should you expect the browser's Canvas 2D implementation to perform better than Swiftshader, either power- or speed-wise?

The main case would be the Canvas 2D is hardware-accelerated, but WebGL is not (e.g. using SwiftShader) due to the driver being blacklisted.
That can happen in some rare cases, but in most cases, when the driver is blacklisted for WebGL, it also is blacklisted for any kind of content or compositing acceleration.

That's why in my replies I focused on explaining why non-accelerated Canvas 2D could, for certain applications, be better than non-accelerated WebGL.

Benoit

Ashley