Re: [Public WebGL] Moving WebGL Khronos related stuff to GitHub

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM, David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if Khronos should continue to host a canonical repository
> tied to GitHub via a post-commit hook?
>
> It seems like khronos.org should continue to be the authority for the
> official WebGL repository. That way, Khronos retains control of their
> hosting, URLs, etc without a required dependency on an external
> company. Has this been discussed internally?

The thinking has been to preserve the links under
http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/ . Currently, these are checked
out from the Subversion repository every 15 minutes or so. It should
be straightforward to update this script to pull from the github repo
instead.

However, the thinking has also been to completely remove everything
under https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl/ .
This is a direct link into the Subversion repository, and if this repo
is preserved, I think it would be confusing to understand the
canonical location of the repository. See below however; perhaps we
could keep these links working via redirects to www.khronos.org.

Suggestions welcome.

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:32 PM, James Riordon <webmaster@khronos.org> wrote:
> I believe .htaccess won't work in subversion, so updating the html files
> would be required.

Would it be possible to override the handling of all URLs under
https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl/ and
have them always redirect to www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/ ?

> If you can confirm the exact svn tree you want to move, I can run a test
> conversion and import to a Github private repository for verification and
> cleanup, if need be. Thanks.

The tree we'd like to move is

https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl

It would be great if we could test the conversion first. Thanks very
much for your help on this.