Re: [Public WebGL] another proposal to temporarily expose some device/driver information only when really needed

How about adding a flag (false by default) that allows an acquired
context to be queried and configured before activation?

That is what the {async:true} flag is going to be, once we have specified and implemented async context creation.

Ah! You're referring to what I'd call a "non-blocking" call, then? With things like node.js being all the rage, "asynchronous" has kind of come to mean "event callback" to many developers.

Even "non-blocking" isn't a very good term. The main benefit here is not the speed of the call, but the delayed resource creation that allows for additional setup. I am struggling to find a good word for the concept, really. It's not really asynchronous if it synchronizes with the first call that requires hardware resources, is it...

Still, is there actually a need for an explicit flag? Neither the programmer nor the end user is going to see a visual difference between "no resources allocated yet" vs "nothing rendered yet". My original point was that it seems entirely possible to allow the following:

var gl = canvas.getContext("webgl");
var caps = gl.getDeviceCaps();
gl.enableSomeCap();

var buffer = gl.createBuffer(); // HW context auto-created here

...and then drop passing flags into getContext() altogether?

Thor