Re: [Public WebGL] another proposal to temporarily expose some device/driver information only when really needed

On 2 May 2012 21:47, Gregg Tavares (勤) <gman@google.com> wrote:

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Ashley Gullen <ashley@scirra.com> wrote:
I think this is a great idea and I'm desperate for something like this.  Our engine implements both a WebGL and Canvas 2D renderer, and currently the Canvas 2D renderer is never used in Chrome 18 due to Swiftshader.  I am keen to fall back to Canvas 2D instead of using Swiftshader but there is no way to do that.

That's a little bit of an exaggeration. You can certainly choose Canvas 2D at anytime. You run a small benchmark and switch.

We don't make any particular game, we just make an engine.  Are you sure it's possible to make a benchmark script that is 100% accurate for all kinds of games with their varying performance profiles, and does not delay the start of the game by more than a second? How do you know if your benchmark is working properly?  What if one renderer runs faster in some places and slower in others, and the other renderer runs the opposite (faster where the other was slow, slower where the other was faster)?  Which renderer should be picked then?  I'd rather just say: use the GPU.

Ashley