Re: [Public WebGL] another proposal to temporarily expose some device/driver information only when really needed

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:
That would remove the reason not to put getDeviceAdvisories on the WebGL context: users concerned about performance could simply do

var advisories = canvas.getContext("webgl", {async:true}).
getDeviceAdvisories();

I don't think this really works. These device properties are associated with the GPU; if the context is lost and restored on a different GPU, the properties change.  This means you want an active, non-lost WebGL context in order to retrieve that data.  In the above, the context you're calling the function on would be in the lost state, where it doesn't yet know anything about the hardware.

Async context creation is still useful here, since it avoids (or at least makes it possible to avoid) a 100ms browser hitch while you do this, but I think you still have to wait the 100ms before this information is available.

Good point, but by "slow" I didn't mean "this machine is slow compared to other machine". Instead, I meant "this feature is slow compared to other features that you might prefer to use instead, on this given machine".

That's a little vague, especially if there end up being more than two APIs available.  If this really means "slower than 2d canvas"--which is still pretty vague, since it probably depends on which features you exercise--maybe it shouldn't pretend to be generic, and actually say "slowerThan2DCanvas"?