Re: [Public WebGL] Caching shader compile assembly

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:41 AM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
I'm not saying it's wrong to do it client-side, just that "server-side"--more likely something like IndexedDB, which is technically client-side--doesn't make this worse.
So I understand that position as "we give you an undecypherable blob for a compiled shader, and you just do with it what you want".

I see a couple problems with that:
- purely from a web-dev perspective, having to store terrabytes of cryptic blobs would be brain-dead, nobody's seriously going to do that if they can avoid it.
- storing on the client side would probably be the preferred method
- IndexDB is not available on some browsers, and it often comes with limits attached.
- Cache retirement of a cache shader would have to be tied to GFX/Driver in use on the context. If you just hand out a cryptic blob, the app-developer has no clue when to retire his cache.