Re: [Public WebGL] Caching shader compile assembly

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:01 AM, Patrick Baggett <baggett.patrick@gmail.com> wrote:
Just by the way OpenGL works on the desktop, I'm thinking the answer is going to be "not without a lot of effort". If the browser vendors used "GL_ARB_get_program_binary" and kept a separate "compiled program cache", I think it is possible.

 But the thing we haven't solved with this caching is the first-load experience :/

It would be a big improvement to be able to compile shaders asynchronously, so browser tabs don't freeze up and you can keep smoothly rendering any loading animations, etc.  Like other things this is probably not possible for pure GLES-based implementations, but it's almost certainly possible for D3D-backed ones, and it probably is for OpenGL (non-ES) ones (where if I remember correctly you can compile in a new context in another thread, then use resource sharing extensions to move the compiled shader across).

Technically speaking compilation is asynchronous now (compileShader can return immediately), but there's no way to tell if the compilation is finished; all you can do is call finish() or getLastError(), which block.  One possible API would be a call which causes an event to be dispatched when the render queue is empty; you'd call it, then return to the browser, and the event would be dispatched once it's possible to call getLastError without blocking.  On implementations that can't do this (GLES, probably), they'd just send the message immediately when you return to the browser.

(I'm just brainstorming; if anyone thinks this is interesting enough to discuss further, please bump replies to a new thread.)