Re: [Public WebGL] Caching shader compile assembly

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
Lengthy setup phases are kind of a problem for web-apps. The expectation of web-users is different than for desktop app install users.

I agree, but I can't help but think that WebGL apps are going to forcibly break that perception in the near future. Content either must be very simple or very specifically coded to be streaming friendly to provide a good instant-on experience, and that's simply not possible in some cases.

I do feel strongly that we shouldn't do anything to explicitly prevent a developer from creating an experience like that, but this shader caching doesn't really harm or help that scenario.

--Brandon