From: "Glenn Maynard" <glenn@zewt.org>
To: "Jeff Gilbert" <jgilbert@mozilla.com>
Cc: "Kenneth Russell" <kbr@google.com>, "public webgl" <public_webgl@khronos.org>, "Gregg Tavares (勤)" <gman@google.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:17:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Public WebGL] Proposal: Generate INVALID_VALUE if value >= MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS on uniform1f(v) for samplers

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Jeff Gilbert < jgilbert@mozilla.com > wrote:

I don't think, though, that this is really necessary, since it's possible to emit JS warnings for this sort of stuff. I think these are plenty sufficient for detecting these issues for developers.

I strongly disagree. If the same code causes different results in different browsers (and it's not an intentional variation, eg. different extensions), then it should be fixed to always do the same thing in all browsers. A web API not being interoperable is a bug.

Also, if we do go down this path, we should consider checking for valid ranges for other types.

That's only necessary if there are other cases which give different results in different implementations. If it's already consistent across all implementations (which it really should be--this one sounds like a GLES/GLSL spec bug if it's not a bug in one of the implementations), then it's not as important.

--
Glenn Maynard