Re: [Public WebGL] another proposal to temporarily expose some device/driver information only when really needed

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:40 PM, David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I propose using URIs for capability profile predicates.
>>
>> If you dislike the idea of using absolute URIs, I propose using
>> relative URI references like "#vtf_slow" and "#slow" with a default
>> base URI at khronos.org.
>>
>> This same host profile facility is probably useful to a wide variety
>> of nouveau browser APIs. Integrating with an extant standard or host
>> profile system would be preferable to creating a new profile system. I
>> believe most logical assertions regarding Web hosts, resources, and
>> clients should attempt to use the federated namespace structure of URI
>> that is now ubiquitous.
>

> Hrm, I'm confused how URIs are useful/relevant here -- how would you propose
> that they be used?  I believe Benoit is just talking about querying the
> browser for data..

URIs provide a global federated namespace. They would be used as
identifiers for properties just like ambiguous bare names would be
used.

I am also talking about querying the browser for data. The data that
you are requesting is a collection of assertions about the local
host's capabilities. These assertions have predicates and values
(literal objects).

I fully support Benoit's proposal. I think it's an idea whose time is
long overdue (>= 1yr 2mo). My additional proposal is to use our
already existing WWW namespace system to describe local host
capabilities.

Here are some use cases:

1. Bob writes a getDeviceAdvisories() shim that returns additional
custom assertions based on his JS profiling efforts. Bob's assertions
use predicates that aren't specified by a standards body. How does Bob
ensure that the property names don't collide? Bob uses a namespace he
already owns in the form of a URI.

2. Alice wants to perform automated reasoning and analysis on a host's
capabilities using data from getDeviceAdvisories as well as other
sources. How does Alice integrate these disparate data sources? Alice
unifies them all under a global federated namespace (URI).

3. Charles wants to provide the highest quality virtual space
experience possible. Charles is using a web service that automatically
transforms assets based on host profiles. What is the format that
Charles uses to transmit profile data? Host-predicate-object triples
with URIs and literals.

4. The WebGL WG wishes to make 'standard' assertions about these host
properties. How does the WebGL WG under Khronos' auspices make
unambiguous assertions about these properties? (e.g. a partial order
on capabilities) The WebGL WG uses the URIs they had already assigned
to the properties.

The common thread here is interoperability and use of ubiquitous and
battle-tested web standards. If the WG decides to promulgate an API
like this (and I fully support such an API), I believe the responsible
thing to do as an Open Web standards steward is to embed the namespace
for assertion elements into URI. Why make a new anonymous namespace
when you could leverage the standard namespace of the WWW?

David