Re: [Public WebGL] Firefox 14 auto-loses WebGL contexts on memory pressure; can be manually triggered

On 12/04/29 16:28, Benoit Jacob wrote:
In Firefox 14 (currently on the Aurora channel), on "memory pressure" events, the browser automatically loses all WebGL contexts.
You can open a tab, go to about:memory and click "Minimize memory usage": this will send such a "memory-pressure" even, causing WebGL contexts to be lost.
If the purpose is remove pressure on main memory, it is unlikely to have much effect with most desltop GL implementations because the bulk of the context is stored in GPU memory. It may have more success on mobile devices where UMA is more common.
This was indeed first done with Mobile devices in mind.

On desktop, I'm not sure if memory-pressure events ever happen spontaneously, at the moment. But I thought that was still useful as a developer tool, as it can be triggered manually in about:memory.

Benoit

Regards

-Mark