Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL Stats

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:
Note that even defining "unbiased" is nontrivial. It could mean at least 3 different things:
 1. representative of the whole population of Web users
 2. representative of the subset of Web users who try to access WebGL content
 3. representative of a more specific population i.e. if you're a game developer, you're interested in the population of visitors of your game's website.

The blue curve on these graphs gives the answer to 2. for Firefox users. It says it's currently just under 50%, about to hit 50% soon.
The orange curve says how many % of people have accelerated compositing. We know that the % of people who can access WebGL content is significantly higher than that (because our blacklist rules for compositing are particularly conservative). Currently the orange curve is at 27%, so it's safe to say that the answer to 1. for Firefox users is somewhere between 30% and 35%.
My stats show currently Desktop -> Firefox 44.2%. So my bias is about in the middle between 1 and 2, and it's pretty far away from 3. It started out pretty much at 3 about two days ago and gradually shifted trough 2 to between 1 and 2, which is the expected result of broadening the sample base.