[Public WebGL] getSupportedExtensions + context loss

getSupportedExtensions says "Any string in this list, when passed to getExtension must return a valid object."

Currently, this conflicts normatively with what actually happens: if the context is lost, null is returned.  A quick fix is to move this to getExtension (it's defining getExtension requirements, so it should be within that function's definition), and say "A valid object must be returned if (and only if) name is included in the return value of getSupportedExtensions."  (This doesn't really touch on the fact that getSupportedExtensions can change after a context loss and restoration.  I'm not sure if anything normative is needed about that...)

Aside from this, I think a better fix would be for both getExtension and getSupportedExtensions to ignore context loss.  getSupportedExtensions always returns the set of supported extensions for the last-created context, and getExtension always returns extension objects (even for lost contexts).  That eliminates some possible context-loss-related bugs.  For example:

if(ctx.getSupportedExtensions.indexOf("extension") != -1) {
    var ext = ctx.getExtension("extension");
    ext.func();
}

This isn't a common pattern now, but if the "profile extensions" ever gets any traction--I wish that would get some attention--then it would be useful.

(Later, for the "context initially lost" case, I think we should have the initially-lost case define a strict, narrow set of functions that you're allowed to use in that state.  That set might be empty--you can't call any context methods whatsoever, and the only thing you can do is wait for context restoration.  That way, we don't need to define what functions do in that very exceptional case.  After all, the UA might not even have a real WebGL implementation in that state, or have any GPU or drawing API active, so there's nothing meaningful any WebGL function could do.)

--
Glenn Maynard