Re: [Public WebGL] OT: exception handling

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Gregg Tavares (勤) <gman@google.com> wrote:
You can rant all you want. Unfortunately it's today's reality. Lost context is not going away anytime soon.
I know

That has nothing to do with WebGL. It has to do with the current state of GPUs, drivers and OSes. GPUs are not CPUs. Their memory isn't easily swapped or protected and currently none of them are preempt-able. None of the browser vendors have control over that. Even Apple doesn't write their own drivers or make their own GPUs.
I know that too. I'll nevertheless note a couple of things:
1) No WebGL framework in existence handles context lost, or will handle it in anything like the forseeable future, if at all, ever.
2) It might just be nigh-impossible to write any kind of framework that can handle it.
3) Requring the average interested WebGL developer (or even the average framework writer) to deal with this, is relegating the writing of WebGL code to the elite of the elite, and even so, their code won't be pretty, reusable or understandable.
4) No, none whatsoever, WebGL demo/application beyond the hello-world equivalent handles context-lost so far, I posit, it's impossible anyhow for anything slightly non-trivial.

So I know I can rant whatever I like, and the problem's not gonna go away. But you can introduce context-lost all you want, the problem's *also* not going away.