Re: [Public WebGL] hint(GENERATE_MIPMAP_HINT, *) never positively tested?

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Patrick Baggett
<baggett.patrick@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Jeff Gilbert <jgilbert@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>

>> I am just fixing a bug where Firefox always generates INVALID_ENUM for
>> perfectly valid calls to hint(GENERATE_MIPMAP_HINT, [FASTEST, NICEST,
>> DONT_CARE]). The tests appear to check that invalid calls to hint() generate
>> INVALID_ENUM, but they must not be checking if it ever works. Since this is
>> a hint, and can always be silently ignored, should this be allowed to fail?
>>
> I don't see how you can reliably test that a hint "worked" (as in, has an
> effect on rendering), but it could test for INVALID_ENUM when given a symbol
> that isn't in its accepted set. Beyond that, no, there really shouldn't be
> any testing of the results.

Agreed that it's difficult or impossible to test whether the hint
succeeded, but incoming invalid enums to "hint" should generate
INVALID_ENUM errors. Incoming valid enums should not generate
INVALID_ENUM errors.