Re: [Public WebGL] Is DEPTH_STENCIL support manditory?

DEPTH_STENCIL support is mandatory in a WebGL implementation.

Gecko currently only supports it when GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8 is available, and illegitimately generates an error when using DEPTH_STENCIL when GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8 is not available. The reason why I didn't care much about that is that GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8 is very well supported, including on mobile devices, and is mandatory in OpenGL 3, so we can look forward to it becoming truly ubiquitous. It is also quite likely to never require any additional hardware, as in the worst case it can be emulated with a separate stencil and depth buffer, so this is at worst a driver issue.

I believe that WebKit does the extra work to emulate DEPTH_STENCIL with separate depth and stencil buffers. I would OK a patch doing that, but only if it doesn't add too much more complexity.

Benoit