Re: [Public WebGL] Should WebGLContextAttributes be a callback interface?

Boris Zbarsky:
I wonder whether it would be worthwhile to extend overload resolution in
WebIDL to handle this case by introducing the ability to declare
overloads where an argument is a constant and treating all constants as
distinguishable.  So then the IDL for getContext could look like this:

   getContext(DOMString "webgl", WebGLContextAttributes attrs);

or something... The syntax could obviously use improving.

This is an interesting idea, but I wonder if it is really a pattern we want to encourage by supporting it directly in the IDL. Is it too troublesome not to handle it in prose, by leaving getContext defined as

  object? getContext(DOMString contextId, any... args);

in the HTML spec, and then having some prose hooks for what to do for particular types that the WebGL spec could refer to?