Re: [Public WebGL] Shared resources between contexts

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Rehno Lindeque <rehno.lindeque@gmail.com> wrote:
What is the feeling on the list for making shared resources available to multiple WebGL contexts?
It'd be useful to think of usecases I think. So I'll start:

The use cases are probably well-known, but to add one that I had myself a while back: I wanted to render a color-adjusted image and a generated histogram from the same image.  Without resource sharing, the image had to be duplicated, wasting memory (possibly a lot, for large, high-DPI images).

1. Doing any kind of editor or application that shows the same information in multiple views embedded in some form of HTML layout
2. HUD elements of games (like say an overview map) overlayed on the main content inside HTML elements
3. Making use of multiple non-continous monitor layouts by way of opening a popup window and accessing its window/document.

I'm not sure resource sharing is the answer to these use-cases. Please contribute other ideas for use-cases and comment weather you think those use cases are the proper place for resource sharing.

I think resource sharing is the right paradigm here.  It's well-trodden territory, defined by OpenGL and used by developers for a long time.  WebGL shouldn't try to break new ground unless it really needs to.

--
Glenn Maynard