Re: [Public WebGL] Comments on Dec 20th draft

On Dec 21, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Mark Callow <callow_mark@hicorp.co.jp> wrote:
>> The following statement appears in the non-normative box in the Introduction
>> yet it sounds like a normative statement (emphasis mine):
>>
>> Many functions described in this document contain links to OpenGL ES man
>> pages. While every effort is made to make these pages match the OpenGL ES
>> 2.0 specification [GLES20], they may contain errors. In the case of a
>> contradiction, the OpenGL ES 2.0 specification is the final authority.
>
> Agreed. I think that we should remove the non-normative style from the
> introduction. Doing so wouldn't seem to weaken the spec or impose
> undesirable constraints. Consider that the introduction to the 2D
> Canvas spec at http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html
> talks about what it provides, when it's appropriate and inappropriate
> to use it, etc.
>
> Chris, what would you think about making that change?

The HTML5 spec marks the introduction and other sections as non-normative with a simple phrase at the start of the section. So, however we style it, we need a non-normative introduction. But I agree that the last two paragraphs of the introduction are not non-normative. So we should add a section 2 and call it something like "Conventions" or something. So I would vote for splitting the last two paragraphs into a new, normative section, and then leaving the introduction non-normative as it currently is.

> Another alternative would be to make the last two paragraphs of the
> introduction normative, but that would be odd -- the first
> non-normative text in the spec would be that discussing OpenGL ES 2.0
> manual pages.

And that's reasonable because it's giving you some context in which to read the rest of the document.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com