Re: [Public WebGL] Compressed texture support in WebGL 1.0.1

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
Chris, I certainly agree with your sentiment that we need to stop
making changes in order to snapshot the next version of the spec.
After considering the pros and cons of adding these entry points to an
extension object or the WebGLRenderingContext, I still think is that
it is worth adding these entry points to the WebGLRenderingContext
now. It seems inevitable that they will be added to the core API at
some point, and defining them on an extension object is problematic
when defining separate extensions for separate compressed texture
formats.

Adding a compressedTexImage2D call now before usable implementations of it exist seems like it's rushing things into the spec before they're tested, though.

It doesn't seem problematic to have one basic extension to expose eg. compressedTexImage2D (WEBGL_texture_compression), and other extensions for the actual compressed formats (eg. WEBGL_texture_compression_etc1).

(FWIW, recent web specs have stopped using version numbers for specs, since it doesn't really match the development of web APIs.  http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#What_does_.22Living_Standard.22_mean.3F and the sections below it are useful reading.  It's working much better in practice than "snapshot" and "versioning" models, and it eliminates--among bigger things--these periodic worries about trying to get features in before a spec version is frozen.)

--
Glenn Maynard