Re: [Public WebGL] JavaScript matrix libraries really 5x faster in Minefield than Chrome?

So I probably shouldn't respond to this because being on the Chrome team no matter what I say it will sound defensive but:

*) Are you sure these are valid tests? Rumor is some _javascript_ engines will see that the results you are calculating are never used and optimize the entire test away. I don't know if Minefield goes that far though if it did that would be pretty cool

*) Are you sure they are computing the same things? For example mjs doesn't appear to have a true matrix inverse so you're comparing apples to oranges vs the other  libraries there.

*) I added the math library from the tdl stuff. They are slightly faster at some things and slower at others. Attached (sorry, new to git)

*) Matrix math isn't everything. For example running the webgl aquarium on FF4b11 vs Chromium 11.0.668.0 (74525) on your hardware (I have the same machine) using this url
http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/aquarium/aquarium.html?webgl={antialias:false}

At 50 fish

FF: 40fps
Chromium: 60fps

At 1000 fish

FF: 25fps
Chromium: 60fps

I bring that up because it's hard to compare matrix math libraries as they don't all do the same thing. For example, many of the matrix math libraries create objects like a Matrix4 object. Others don't and just use _javascript_ arrays or Float32Array completely un-augmented. Which is better? No idea. If it turns out objects are slower but more convenient which would you pick?  Another example, some libraries work better if you give them a destination variable. I think mjs this is true and I know the tdl fast library (which sadly is not so fast) also requires that. But your benchmark doesn't take those differences into account. Another is that you're almost always doing your math in place meaning you pass in a matrix and expect that matrix to be translated, rotated or scaled in place rather than returning a new matrix and leaving the original alone. That difference is not taken into account.

Of course none of that explains why FF is 5 times faster for your test as it is.