Re: [Public WebGL] Chrome stable linux

----- Original Message -----
> Hmmm - I agree. There is a problem.
>
> Chrome has certainly worked reasonably well for me over the past
> couple
> of months - but today, http://get.webgl.org reports that Chrome
> doesn't
> support WebGL on my Linux/nVidia box.
>
> I don't use this machine a lot - and when I do, I tend to use
> Firefox/Minefield - so I don't recall when Chrome last worked for me.
>
> Firefox's nightly build 4.0b12pre (2011-02-11) works OK - and
> http://get.webgl.org confirms that. (Hey Mozilla guys...how about an
> "about:gpu" page?)

In firefox, this is called about:support (scroll down to the Graphics section). However, it only is fully implemented on Windows and Mac. It will be fully implemented on Linux in Firefox 5.

Again: the reason why Firefox doesn't crash on Linux is that we blacklist by default and only whitelist configurations where we know we haven't received crash reports. On Linux, that means that means that we only whitelist the NVIDIA blob, and starting today we'll also block the version 260.19 of the NVIDIA blob because it's been crashing us. A more fine-grained and powerful approach to whitelisting drivers will be implemented in Firefox 5, hopefully allowing us to whitelist the newest versions of several other drivers on Linux.

Benoit