Re: [Public WebGL] GL_OES_element_index_uint

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Jonathan Feldstein <jfeldstein@rim.com>
> wrote:
>> After playing around with WebGL one thing that I noticed was that the
>> specification seems to be missing the ability to create 32-bit index
>> buffers. OpenGL ES 2.0 has the ability to enable this with the:
>> GL_OES_element_index_uint extension.
>>
>> 65536 possible index values doesn’t really seem like enough values for
>> today’s games. People will be forced to split their index values into
>> multiple arrays of data. Would it be possible to add this extension, or
>> is
>> there a good reason that it is currently absent?
>
> I don't think the WebGL working group has discussed this extension.
> However, after doing some searching, it looks like while Android
> hardware has widespread support for it, it isn't supported on any
> current iOS hardware, iPhone or iPad. We want WebGL content to run
> identically across desktop and mobile hardware, so in my opinion the
> lack of support on iOS makes adding it to the WebGL extension registry
> a non-starter.
>
> -Ken

...agreed.

Furthermore, the cost of splitting meshes that are that big into smaller
meshes has essentially zero impact on runtime performance and can almost
always be an offline task.

The cost of transmitting 32 bit index values can easily exceed the
additional setup cost of setting up multiple meshes.  On desktop Direct3D
apps, I get better performance by splitting them up...WebGL won't be much
different.

  -- Steve