Re: [Public WebGL] GL_OES_element_index_uint

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Jonathan Feldstein <jfeldstein@rim.com> wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'm a touch confused. Doesn't the whole extension concept imply that not everyone needs to implement them? Case and point you just mentioned that this extension is supported by Google but not Apple on the iPhone and iPad platforms for OpenGL ES 2.0.

While that is true, there's a strong desire in the WebGL working group
to avoid fragmenting the developer landscape by adding official
extensions (such as those adopted from the OES namespace) that are
unsupported on a large class of hardware.

A vendor would be more than welcome to add an extension to their WebGL
implementation (RIM_element_index_uint?) and try to garner support for
other vendors to implement it as well.

-Ken