Re: [Public WebGL] RequestAnimationFrame stops updating after hitting a breakpoint

> setTimeout you want to call at the beginning of the frame

Can you elaborate why that is so?
Is that considered common _javascript_ knowledge?

On 9 February 2011 19:18, Gregg Tavares (wrk) <gman@google.com> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 1:19 AM, Mikko Mononen <mikko@tinkercad.com> wrote:

Hi,

Putting the call at the end of the render functions seems to fix the
problem for now. Looks like as long as I put it after the last webgl
call, breakpoints work ok.

What is the idea behind calling it the first thing in the render
function? Is the function requestAnimationFrame() documented somewhere
(in relation to webgl too)? Is there a way to controls the max update
rate? I'd be fine with 30Hz update, but it looks like the call back is
called as fast as possible.

If you are solely using requestAnimationFrame then it shouldn't matter whether you put it at the beginning or end. Unfortunately in the case of the wrapper at (https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl/sdk/demos/common/webgl-utils.js) If the browser does not support requestAnimationFrame then it falls back to setTimeout. setTimeout you want to call at the beginning of the frame. So, most of my samples call it at the beginning. Hopefully the debugging issues will be fixed soon and the problem will go away.

--mikko