Re: [Public WebGL] WebKit nightly does not recognize "webgl" for context type

On 2011/02/02 17:14, Chris Marrin wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2011, at 6:06 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure that WebKit has never accepted the "webgl" context
>> type, only "experimental-webgl".
>>
>> When should the switch be flipped?
>>
>> - Now?
>> - When the WebGL 1.0 spec is published?
>> - When WebKit passes the WebGL 1.0 conformance suite?
> I don't think we should be changing anything like this until 1.0 is actually ratified and the browsers have at least some semblance of conformance.

I think this is a very purist approach that serves no practical purpose.
It complicates life for application developers and likely ensures that
"experimental-webgl" will have to be recognized as a context type
forever. I expect that 99% of the WebGL applications out there are
walking an array of possible context-type strings until one works. I
very much doubt if any of these applications changes their behavior
depending on which of "webgl" or "experimental webgl" succeeds.

Regards

    -Mark

begin:vcard
fn:Mark Callow
n:Callow;Mark
org:HI Corporation;Middleware Development
email;internet:callow_mark@hicorp.co.jp
title:Chief Architect
tel;work:+81 3 3710 9367
tel;fax:+81 3 5773 8660