Re: [Public WebGL] determining depth of z-buffer

On 02/02/2011 04:03 PM, Giles Thomas wrote:
> You may already be familiar with this trick, but just in case: if
> you're finding that the depth buffer's not deep enough to handle your
> scene's level of detail (say, skybox/sphere 10,000,000,000 units away,
> Sun 100,000,000 units away, planet 90,000 units away and spaceship 0.1
> units away), you can avoid having to worry at least about the distance
> of the sky by drawing it at -- say -- half the far clipping distance
> and then clearing the depth buffer so that whatever you draw next will
> wind up on top of it, using gl.clear(gl.DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);  I did
> something like this in my (long-unupdated)
> <http://learningwebgl.com/spacelike/>
>
> In general, I think (experts please correct me if I'm wrong here!)
> that if you have various objects at very distinct bands of distances,
> where no object intersects two bands, you can draw each band, most
> distant band first, closest last, using a different projection matrix
> each time -- same fov and aspect, but appropriately-adjusted near and
> far clipping distances -- thus being able to get maximum use of the
> depth buffer's precision each time.  You just need to clear the depth
> buffer after each band, so that each closer level is always drawn on
> top of the previous one.
>
> This is something I've inferred from lots of reading rather than read
> specifically, however, so it could absolutely standard practice, with
> a well-known name that I just don't know, or it could be utter
> nonsense.  Or possibly some combination of the two.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Giles

That technique is often called "depth stripeing" or "depth stripping".
It works OK for simple renderings but having to clear the Z buffer
between passes is problematic if you want to use the Z buffer for
something else afterwards.

Another trick I've used is to draw small, nearby objects N times too big
and N times further away than they really are.   That lets me push the
near clip plane much further away - which improves Z precision immensely.

The simulator we built to train US "Predator" drone aircraft pilots does
this.  The Predator's camera has a phenomenal zoom factor so it can see
things tens of miles away like they were right next to you...but it can
also see parts of the aircraft itself that are mere inches from the
camera!   This is horrible for Z-buffer precision - so we cheat and draw
the aircraft somewhere between 'actual size' and 100 times too big
depending on altitude.   You can build this into the vertex shader so
the rest of your software doesn't have to do anything special.

For things like the "sky ball", you can change the fragment shader to
write a specific, known value to the Z buffer rather than using the
hardware interpolated value that comes from the vertex shader.  That
allows you much more control over how close you can push it out and
prevents it from "flimmering" as you induce different roundoff errors
when you move the camera around.

There are a LOT of tricks out there.

  -- Steve