[Public WebGL] determining depth of z-buffer

Following up on my clipping problem setting the far clip plane I was wondering how to tell how many bits the Z-buffer has and whether I can find out using WebGL directly.

I've just started using the GLView Extensions Viewer (http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/) to browse a great deal of OpenGL and video card data and while lookingto see if I can see what my Z-buffer depth is I found the following:

 Pixel Formats:Depth Buffer Modes
     0 bpp
    16 bpp
    24 bpp

Are these the available Z-buffer depths?

Is there a way I can find the Z-buffer depth using WebGL so I can either collect forensic data from deployments or optionally use different near and far clipping planes?