RE: [Public WebGL] N-Body simulation on GPU

Checking for SM3 support would not be enough. You need to check for texture formats that support it. Unfortunately there is some SM3 hardware out there that doesn't support vertex texture fetch. In this case no format is reported as vertex shader accessible.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-public_webgl@khronos.org [mailto:owner-public_webgl@khronos.org] On Behalf Of Ben Vanik
Sent: Freitag, 14. Januar 2011 09:35
To: demidov@ipm.sci-nnov.ru; public_webgl@khronos.org
Subject: Re: [Public WebGL] N-Body simulation on GPU

Looking at the ANGLE code, MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS is hardcoded
to 0. Are there plans to support it in the future? (besides the
obvious reason of the extra effort) was there a reason it was omitted?
Thinking known compatibility issues, etc.

DX9 requires SM3 to use vertex textures and it looks like it wouldn't
be too hard to - when SM3 is present - support the samplers in the
vertex shaders.
Would people be interested/supportive of me getting this into ANGLE?
I've got some animation system work I'd love to do that could take
advantage of this, and have been itching to make some contributions to
ANGLE :)

--
Ben Vanik
http://www.noxa.org