Re: [Public WebGL] Proposal for WebAL

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Steve Baker <steve@sjbaker.org> wrote:

> In the course of writing my WebGL game, it became painfully obvious that
> the audio capabilities of present browsers is woefully inadequate to the
> task of rendering game audio - and I've decided to try to evangalize
> what I think is the clear and obvious solution to the problem.  I call
> it "WebAL".
>
> This is off-topic for this list - but I'm trying to propose a solution
> that closely mirrors WebGL, both in structure and in how it gets adopted
> and implemented and I presume that the people who inhabit this list will
> either be the right people to talk to - or will know who those people are.
>
> I have written a white-paper describing why we need it, what it should
> be - and how I think it should happen:
>

> http://www.sjbaker.org/wiki/index.php?title=WebAL_-_Interactive_audio_for_browsers
>
> Please SPAM it to anyone who will listen!!
>
> I also created a mailing list to centralize the discussion:

> Thanks in advance

Please look into the Web Audio incubator group at
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/audio/ and in particular the Web
Audio API specification proposal at
http://chromium.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/samples/audio/specification/specification.html
. This is an API designed by an audio processing expert (Chris Rogers)
which provides low latency audio and extremely powerful capabilities.
The initial implementation in WebKit is nearly complete on all
platforms. I think it would be best to focus efforts on the
development of this API rather than start a new one.