[Public WebGL] rendering to "texture1D" (Chrome bug?)

For N-bodies simulations (N~256) I'd like to store N 3D coordinates in Nx1 textures_2D (RGB float later). In a simple test (no extensions)
http://www.ibiblio.org/e-notes/webgl/test/tex1D.html
I set gl.viewport(0, 0, n, 1); and try to render white (-1,0,0, 1,0,0) line on black background. Unfortunately in Chromium with OpenGL drivers (under Windows XP + ATI) I see the black background. I get white page in Firefox and Chrome with ANGLE.
1. is it a bug?
2. how shall I render to "1D" textures? (I'll try to draw 2x2 square meanwhile)

Evgeny