Re: [Public WebGL] Best practices questions

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2011, at 7:21 AM, Thatcher Ulrich wrote:
>
>> Re capabilities, have a look at webgl-bench.appspot.com ; I'm collecting this kind of info and showing aggregates of it.  The breakdowns are coarse but I think can be made finer as more data is accumulated.
>
> This is a nice page, thanks for doing it. It would be great if you published some qualitative tables, saying "this combination of graphics, hardware and browser succeeds in these areas and fails in these". It would give the browser vendors good data on a wider variety of configurations than we have on hand.

By "qualitative", do you mean I should write up my interpretations of
where I think the trouble spots are?  I.e. from looking at the data so
far, I conclude that Firefox is the fastest webgl browser, followed by
Webkit, followed by Chrome.  ANGLE doesn't expose Vertex Texture
Fetch, which is unfortunate for anyone hoping for that feature.  Intel
GPUs seem pretty weak relative to ATI and NVIDIA.  Some of the GPU
data is a bit harder to interpret because ANGLE subsumes other GPUs
(maybe only Intel at the moment?).  Also as we discussed earlier,
Firefox doesn't expose a GPU string so the speed comparisons across
browser are perhaps unfair, although it does come out ahead of the
other browsers on my personal machine.

Is that kind of thing useful, if backed up with some numbers?  Or were
you thinking of something else, like a summary chart that aggregates a
lot of measurements into one number per browser/GPU.

-T