[Public WebGL] Best practices questions

Hello everyone,

I am new to this list so please excuse me if this has already discussed in the past. We are developing strategy browser games for core gamers. As this is a fast moving market we are always locking for options to improve the player experiences. 3D seems to be the next big thing. Therefore we are currently evaluating the different options.

I know that the current implementations are not final and the performances behavior may change. But I hope that the implementers have already developed a common sense how to use the API from the JavaScript side.

1.       Render state change tracking: Most 3D APIs pass all state changes to the driver/hardware. Therefore it’s recommended to check for changes on the caller side. If this is true for WebGL, too? Or would the checks redundant?
2.       The interface contains a huge number of constants with defined values. To reduce script size and gain a little bit performances I thought about pass directly the values instead of using the constants. Is this a bad Idea?
3.       GLSL optimization: Should we expect good optimization on the API/Driver level or would it better to use an optimizer on GLSL level? I am expecting that this would depend mostly on the driver on the target platform, right?

-Ralf