Re: [Public WebGL] Minefield compositor issue...maybe?

On 01/01/2011 03:33 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:

> [...]
I think it's Linux only - but it's a little tough to pin down.  It's
intermittent, dependent on loading and processor/GPU speed.   Our EeePC
netbook is refusing to link our shaders (no error message...grrrrr!) and
the other two Windows machines we have here at home are both much faster
than our Linux box...so perhaps they don't exhibit the problem just
because they are quick enough.

My game is now pushing the performance envelope pretty hard - aside from
the WebGL load, we're piling on fancy HTML5 and CSS3 trickery, hitting
texture memory capacity on low-end machines, doing AJAX, sound effects
and background music.   We make reasonable frame rates for the hardware
we're running on - but like most mainstream desktop games, there aren't
a whole lot of spare CPU cycles floating around!  (Especially on low-end
hardware.)

The problem isn't that things go slow on low end machines - it's that
performance drops off so abruptly.  We're hitting some kind of "death
spiral".

I'm going to try piling on the pain on Windows machines and see if I can
trigger the same behavior there.

  -- Steve