Re: [Public WebGL] Webp

Great, so how do we ensure support for KTX or ETC1 texture compression in the browsers that will support WebGL?

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Mark Callow <callow_mark@hicorp.co.jp> wrote:
 On 19/10/2010 05:29, steve@sjbaker.org wrote:
> What we REALLY need is a format like DDS which can be supported in
> hardware and which permits separate compression of each MIPmap level in a
> format that hardware stands at least a chance of supporting.  DDS also
> supports Alpha, 1D, 2D and 3D maps, cubemaps, floating point and a bunch
> of other goodies.  Sadly, it's also heavily IP-encumbered.
>
>   -- Steve

The basic file format for the above, called KTX, has been put in place
by the Khronos Group as I announced back in August. What's more it now
has an official MIME-type: image/ktx.

KTX files can hold any type of texture that can be loaded into OpenGL or
OpenGL ES, including the compressed types. The file contains the
parameters to pass to glTexImage*.

Many of the compressed types are not portable of course. To solve this,
Khronos has also released ETC1 (Ericsson Texture Compression) for RGB
textures as an extension. ETC1 can be freely used  with Khronos APIs. It
is likely there will be updates to ETC supporting things like alpha
compression in the future and also likely ETC will be included in the
core GL specifications.

Please see http://www.khronos.org/opengles/sdk/tools/KTX/ for more
information about KTX.