Re: [Public WebGL] Webp

It's hard to get excited about the prospect.

WebP is likely to be a pretty terrible format for 3D textures. Like JPEG,
it uses much more aggressive chroma compression than luminance - which is
only a reasonable strategy when the pixel size you're rendering it at is
comparable to the texel size.  But when you zoom into images compressed
that way, you get all sorts of crazily colored pixels showing up.

WebP is also unlikely ever to be supported as an internal format inside
the GPU - so the compression savings during download won't be realized
inside WebGL because the images will always have to be decompressed.  If
you're short of texture map memory (and who isn't?!) then they'll have to
be decompressed and then recompressed into a GPU-friendly format and the
consequences of THAT for image quality are deeply scarey!

What we REALLY need is a format like DDS which can be supported in
hardware and which permits separate compression of each MIPmap level in a
format that hardware stands at least a chance of supporting.  DDS also
supports Alpha, 1D, 2D and 3D maps, cubemaps, floating point and a bunch
of other goodies.  Sadly, it's also heavily IP-encumbered.

  -- Steve