Re: [Public WebGL] Standard place with advice for end-users.

No, that's not what I meant.

I'm imagining a really simple, non-confusing page with not much more
than just a couple of big, friendly icons.  Something which
automatically figures  out which browser/OS you're already using and
points you to where to upgrade it to a version that supports WebGL
(preferably just one mouse-click)...and if no such thing exists, offers
(one-click) links to download whatever other browsers are supported on
your OS and which run WebGL.

So if you went there with Firefox 3.x - there would be a big shiney
button "Upgrade to Firefox 4.0 to get WebGL" - but if you went there
with Internet Explorer, it would have one sentence explaining that IE is
hopless for this stuff - plus three or four big shiney buttons to let
you download and install Firefox 4, Chrome, Safari...whatever.   If you
have the right version of an appropriate browser, it says that maybe you
need to upgrade your graphics drivers - or maybe you're just doomed.

It's complicated enough - and needs updating frequently enough - that we
wouldn't want every WebGL application creating something like that to
explain to end users why their website isn't working and giving outdated
and potentially contradictory advice.

Nothing long and complicated to read - just click and a couple of
minutes later you have WebGL and can go back to playing that game you
were interested in.   That's what happens right now if you don't have
flash or have outdated flash - or Shockwave - or...whatever.

Something that my mother could easily manage!

Something hosted someplace stable enough that we'd have a reasonable
expectation that it would still be there (say) 5 years from now.

  -- Steve