Re: [Public WebGL] Odd behavior on eePC netbook.

Daniel Koch wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> That IS an interesting question.
>
> There definitely are shader length and functionality limitations that
> you'll hit on that machine even under DX9 (being only SM2 capable).
> I certainly would have expected to get *some* form of error message
> out of ANGLE if that is the case though (although maybe it depends on
> the vintage of the driver).
>
> Any chance you can try the shader using ANGLE independently from the
> browser?
>
> Daniel
Yeah - this is a big fragment shader that hasn't been optimised yet -
and I'm surprised I didn't hit limits on my ancient nVidia 6800 box.
But Intel chipsets are by far the worst GPU's out there...so it's
entirely reasonable that I might have exceeded some limit.  It's also
possible that these are older drivers (although the EeePC netbook was
new out of it's box yesterday, there are no guarantees that the
manufacturer bothers to keep up with the latest driver releases).

What's annoying is the total lack of any kind of error message beyond
that one 'false' return.  It would be nice to know (for example) whether
I exeeded the maximum instruction count or the max number of registers
or interpolators or...who knows?

I'd be happy to try the shader under ANGLE directly - but I'm going to
need some help knowing how to do that.  I had no idea that ANGLE could
be run outside of the browser.

...or if you like, I could just email you the shader and let you play
with it.

  -- Steve