Re: [Public WebGL] ArrayBuffer, Concatenation and String-Array Conversion, a proposal

On 10/05/2010 05:34 PM, Chris Marrin wrote:
And if we were to do that, I would propose we use base64 as the serialization format. The overhead is small, there are many tools for it, and it's already supported in other parts of HTML in the data: URL format. I think it would be a mistake to support some sort of direct binary string format.
Base64 is fine - what encoding? and/or how would you define the encoding? (UTF-8, UTF-16, ASCII etc. etc)
Isn't that taken care of by XHR and/or the HTML encoding?

I spent all night thinking about this. The short answer is "not very reliably". ArrayBuffers are by definition arrays of bytes, and thus opaque to any of the server mechanisms for automatically managing content encoding. By default, some servers *deliver* data as ISO8259-1 and require some special configuration to properly handle other encodings - this sounds amazing, but its true. Also, it depends where the data for the AB is originated, for example, created by a desktop app and posted to a server as a file or generated (and cached) on-line.

Alan