Re: [Public WebGL] New Rendering Pipeline ?

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2010, at 3:05 AM, Steve Baker wrote:
>
>> WebGL is (essentially) built on top of either OpenGL, or OpenGL-ES - and
>> behaves more or less exactly like OpenGL-ES.
>>
>> The rendering pipeline is therefore precisely the same as those graphics
>> libraries.  The only places where there are really any differences are
>> at the API level:
>>
>> * Restrictions due to the fact we're running in a web browser (eg, for
>> the moment, there are no OpenGL extensions).
>> * Extensions to make things more convenient (eg the ability to load a
>> texture from disk with a single command)
>> * Things made necessary by the need to interface to JavaScript rather
>> than C/C++  (eg The Float32Array stuff).
>
> There are also a small number of restrictions added to make it possible to use D3D as a backend for WebGL. I believe there was an intent to put such differences on the Wiki, similar to http://khronos.org/webgl/wiki/WebGL_and_OpenGL_Differences, but I don't see it.

The differences between WebGL and OpenGL ES 2.0, which were intended
to allow it to run on top of D3D, are in the WebGL specification. The
differences between WebGL and desktop OpenGL, which may be surprising
to desktop OpenGL programmers, are listed on the wiki as you mentioned
above.

-Ken