Re: [Public WebGL] New Rendering Pipeline ?

On Aug 23, 2010, at 3:05 AM, Steve Baker wrote:

> WebGL is (essentially) built on top of either OpenGL, or OpenGL-ES - and
> behaves more or less exactly like OpenGL-ES.
>
> The rendering pipeline is therefore precisely the same as those graphics
> libraries.  The only places where there are really any differences are
> at the API level:
>
> * Restrictions due to the fact we're running in a web browser (eg, for
> the moment, there are no OpenGL extensions).
> * Extensions to make things more convenient (eg the ability to load a
> texture from disk with a single command)
> * Things made necessary by the need to interface to JavaScript rather
> than C/C++  (eg The Float32Array stuff).

There are also a small number of restrictions added to make it possible to use D3D as a backend for WebGL. I believe there was an intent to put such differences on the Wiki, similar to http://khronos.org/webgl/wiki/WebGL_and_OpenGL_Differences, but I don't see it.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com