Re: [Public WebGL] Shader validator / demos

The problem with this (and the network case, incidentally) is that there's really no way for the browser to know -- any of the error messages being displayed here, including the message box, are all from the content app itself and not being generated by the browser.  I guess the browser could log some kind of error if compileShader() ever fails, but it definitely wouldn't pop up any kind of dialog, so the best it could do is just write something to its JS console, which most users won't think to look at anyway.  Even then, telling them that the WebGL shader has errors wouldn't be of much use to them, because it's not something that they can fix.

The same is true for resource loads; the browser could indicate network traffic is happening when there are any outstanding background requests, but to users that just looks like "this page has never finished loading".  Instead, the apps themselves should inform users about what's going on; e.g. gmail's loading screen is a good example.

    - Vlad