Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL Shader Validation

On Jun 16, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Gregg Tavares wrote:

> What's the definition of "crash"?
>
> There are lots of shaders that will effectively freeze OSX for long enough that it will appear as though the entire system is frozen. The system is waiting for the GPU to finish and if that takes 30 minutes then the system will wait 30 minutes. Don't know about the infinite loop case
>
> Window7 will do a hard reset of the GPU after a few seconds so the user gets his machine back.
>
> I'm personally hoping Apple will add similar behavior to OSX and iOS.

I believe our driver team is working on recovering from errant shaders more quickly.

But that's not the point. There are two issues here. First, while loops are not required in OpenGL ES and I thought we were going to disallow them. Second, the shader validator should at the very least be able to detect simple infinite loops like this.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com