Re: [Public WebGL] OpenCL in WebGL?

On Jun 15, 2010, at 8:47 PM, stephen white wrote:

> Even with the current efforts to optimise things, I can only get about 500 draw commands for interactive frame rates, even though each draw can be arbitrarily complex once the GPU has been told what to do.
>
> 	http://www.cmsoft.com.br/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=99&Itemid=150
>
> So something like the above article and video looks like an interesting way around the slow Javascript problems. To see what I mean, change lesson 9 from learningwebgl to have 500 points.

It really all depends on when mobile hardware gets these capabilities. Geometry shaders is another technology that would do many of the things that OpenCL interoperability can do. Neither of these are available on any mobile hardware today, although the OpenCL group is working on OpenCL ES, which may be the soonest technology available on mobile hardware, even if it would have to be partly implemented in software, using something like LLVM (http://llvm.org/devmtg/2009-10/OpenCLWithLLVM.pdf). So these things will happen. We just have to wait a while.

In the meantime, it would be interesting to understand why your content has the performance it does. Can you sample it? It may be the interface to Typed Arrays being slow, which can be significantly improved. Or it may be in some heavily used WebGL API call, which might be optimizable some. We should make sure we have all the fast path logic possible in place before resorting to other technologies to solve performance problems.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com