Re: [Public WebGL] Slowdowns & lockups in Firefox/Minefield.

Steve Baker <steve@sjbaker.org> kirjoitti 4.6.2010 kello 8.07:

Forgive me if you guys already know this - but my (increasingly hefty)
application seems to only run a half dozen times (assuming I keep
hitting 'Reload') before Firefox's frame rate slows down dramatically
(like one frame every two seconds) - or perhaps locks up completely. It
kinda feels like maybe some resources are not being free'd up...but
that's just a guess. Killing and restarting the browser reliably fixes it.

This is with: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv: 1.9.3a5pre)
Gecko/20100509 Minefield/3.7a5pre

I presume we don't expect the application to do any specific
cleanup...I'm not currently doing anything like that.

 -- Steve

Firefox was at one point doing GL context destruction at garbage collection time (instead of document unload). If it's still doing that, the context and the resources allocated by it are only freed after doing some thirty megabytes of JS allocation. In that case, if you have a large canvas and don't allocate much, you might run out of GPU resources before triggering GC. But I don't know too well how the latest builds do things, so I might well be wrong.