Re: [Public WebGL] A different approach to interleaved typed arrays

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> The TC39 folks are making a valiant effort at defining structured data in JavaScript. But I don't think their efforts will be able to bear fruit in a timeframe that would be convenient for us. But still I feel their pain. Their main complaint of our current Typed Arrays proposal is that it exposes endian issues to the author. Not only that, but it makes it easy to accidentally write endian dependent code. Since the majority of machines today are little endian, this is a ticking time bomb waiting for the day that someone tries it on a big endian machine.
>
> I'd like to propose changes to the current Typed Array proposal which would solve the problem of exposing endianness, but would still be efficient:
>
> ==========
>
> We've discussed in the past the idea of making the views non-overlapping. Mapping a range of an ArrayBuffer to one view would make it inaccessible to any other view. Furthermore, when mapping a range of an ArrayBuffer, that range is clear, preventing the author from, for instance:
>
> 1) Mapping a range to bytes
> 2) Filling that range with data, which happens to be floating point values in little endian order
> 3) removing that mapping
> 4) Mapping that same range to floats to access the previously loaded data
>
> This would all be well and good, and the implementation isn't really that complex. It would simply require remembering which views are mapped to which buffer and doing a validation whenever a new mapping is made.
>
> But it has a problem because it would not be practical to do interleaved mapping. You'd essentially need a new view for each component of each element. For instance, if you had 1000 vertices, made up of 3 floats followed by 4 bytes, you'd need 1000 Float32Arrays and 1000 Int8Arrays.
>
> But we could add an explicit interleaved mapping capability to the Typed Arrays. It would require something like this:
>
>        var buf  = new ArrayBuffer(1000 * 16 /* 3 floats + 4 bytes */);
>        var floats = new Float32Array(buf, 0, 1000, 3, 4);
>        var colors = new UInt8Array(buf, 12, 1000, 4, 12);
>
> The extra 2 parameters added to the Typed Array constructors are:
>
>        elementsPerGroup - number of elements in each group of elements
>        bytesToNextGroup - number of bytes to skip to get from the end of a group of elements to the start of the next
>
> There are other ways to phrase those parameters. For instance you might want the second one to be 'stride', which is the number of bytes from the start of one group to the next. But the result is the same. In the above example the views don't overlap because the extra parameters define which parts of the buffer belong to which view. Checking for validity is essentially the same as for the non-stride case, although perhaps a bit more complex. But I don't believe creating views into a buffer is likely to happen frequently, so it can be a relatively expensive operation without hurting performance.

> [...]

We have discussed similar proposals earlier in the working group, and
during the TC-39 meeting a similar scatter/gather idea was discussed.
The problem with this proposal is that setting and getting individual
elements is too slow, which is why you've worked around that by adding
bulk setters and getters. This does not solve the basic problem that
arrays in JavaScript are tremendously inefficient for storing and
manipulating large numbers of vertices. Supporting this capability is
essential for interesting applications to be developed with WebGL.
NVIDIA's vertex_buffer_object demo [1] is a reasonable example and
benchmark of dynamic vertex generation in JavaScript. In Firefox and
Chromium nightly builds on my laptop it generates roughly 4 million
vertices per second. This is not bad, but is still roughly a factor of
seven slower than the Java HotSpot server compiler on the same demo. I
am convinced that better performance can be attained in JavaScript,
but there is much work to be done.

It is absolutely essential that random access reads and writes of
single elements be efficiently supported. Having one array reference
multiple contiguous elements with gaps in between groups of elements
will perform too poorly. We could consider having each array reference
only one element per group, with a fixed stride between elements. This
will still add at least a load and if-test, or load and shift, to each
array load and store, to fetch the stride and either compare it to
zero for the fastest case, or to always shift the index to compute the
byte offset. I am not in favor of making this change. I personally
don't believe that the data aliasing issues exposed by Typed Arrays
are as severe as some do, and I am not willing to sacrifice any of the
performance gains we have already achieved with Typed Arrays because
we still have a long way to go. For reference, the
vertex_buffer_object is running over seven times faster than it used
to in Chromium before any optimizations to the Typed Array
implementation were done.

-Ken

[1] https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl/sdk/demos/google/nvidia-vertex-buffer-object/index.html