Re: [Public WebGL] Purpose of WebGLObjectArray ?

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Cedric Vivier <cedricv@neonux.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure to grasp the need and benefits of WebGLObjectArray ?
>
> The only place it's used is getAttachedShaders() and even for this
> function it would be probably simpler and more useful to return a
> standard array (ie. WebGLObject[ ] in the IDL) so that all array
> functions are available as usual to developers, e.g checking a shader
> has been attached correctly would be intuitively enough :
>
> if (!gl.getAttachedShaders(program).indexOf(coolShader)) {
>   // coolShader is not yet attached to this program, let's attach it now...
> }
>

> Thoughts ?

I believe we specified WebGLObjectArray before Web IDL supported
sequence<T>. Note that as far as I know none of the WebGL
implementations currently support getAttachedShaders(), so this issue
hasn't been explored in depth yet. We could plausibly eliminate it in
favor of sequence<WebGLShader>.