Re: [Public WebGL] Error codes in drawArrays / drawElements

----- "Kenneth Russell" <kbr@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > These Khronos tests suggests that in certain circumstances drawArray
> / drawElements give INVALID_OPERATION, as opposed to INVALID_VALUE:
> >

> https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl/sdk/tests/fast/draw-arrays-out-of-bounds.html
> >
> https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl/sdk/tests/fast/draw-elements-out-of-bounds.html
> >
> > But neither the WebGL spec, nor the OpenGL ES documentation, say
> that these functions can give INVALID_OPERATION.
>
> Section 4.1 of the WebGL indicates, but does not currently specify,
> this behavior.
>
> We agreed at the F2F that generating an INVALID_OPERATION error will
> be the specified behavior. The spec still needs to catch up but the
> tests verify the intended behavior.

Thanks for the answer, I now have a more specific question:

>From the draw-elements-out-of-bounds test:

shouldGenerateGLError(context, context.INVALID_VALUE,
  "context.drawArrays(context.TRIANGLES, 0, -1)");
shouldGenerateGLError(context, context.INVALID_OPERATION,
  "context.drawArrays(context.TRIANGLES, 1, 0)");
shouldGenerateGLError(context, context.INVALID_VALUE,
  "context.drawArrays(context.TRIANGLES, -1, 0)");
shouldGenerateGLError(context, context.INVALID_OPERATION,
  "context.drawArrays(context.TRIANGLES, 1, -1)");
shouldGenerateGLError(context, context.INVALID_OPERATION,
  "context.drawArrays(context.TRIANGLES, -1, 1)");

Could you please explain me the logic here, choosing between VALUE and OPERATION?

Benoit