Re: [Public WebGL] Chromium/Firefox handling of FloatArray

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic
<vladimir@mozilla.com> wrote:

> ----- "Alan Chaney" <alan@mechnicality.com> wrote:
>
> This code works fine on Chromium 6.0.408.1.dev (which claims to be up to
> date) but fails on Firefox 3.7a5pre.
> The Error console says: "$wnd.FloatArray is not a constructor."
>
> Since the code is based on the current WebGL spec + the TypedArray spec
> I assume that Chromium is getting it right? Or
> what am I doing wrong?
>
> Hmm, whoops -- these are called Float32Array and Float64Array in Firefox,
> but it looks like I missed updating those names in the original Typed Array
> draft spec.  I believe that you can temporarily use WebGLFloatArray and have
> things work in both.
>
> I need to check with Ken and others if there's any strong preference for
> naming here -- the Float -> Float32, Double -> Float64 change happened based
> on feedback that it's more consistent with Int8/Uint8 etc., and that it
> makes it more natural to extend to Float128 and possibly Float16 in the
> future.

Is there precedent for this naming convention in the current or
forthcoming ECMAScript specifications? The Int8, Uint8, etc. naming
convention is good because (some of) these types are already in
ECMA-262. I see parseFloat() in ECMA-262 which makes me prefer the
current Float and Double type names, though I don't feel strongly
about it.