Re: [Public WebGL] Adding types to signatures in detail boxes

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2010, at 6:18 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

>>> It annoys me, too. But yes it was done to match the Canvas spec (and many other W3C spec styles). If it can be done without adding too much noise, I would be all for adding types.
>>
>> Apologies for the long delay; I've finally made this edit. It included
>> removing the "in" keyword for all function arguments, as it is
>> implicit in the Web IDL spec, and adding a new .idl-code CSS style to
>> handle indentation of the second and subsequent lines if the function
>> signature wraps. Layout should work properly for the overloaded method
>> descriptions.
>>
>> What do you all think? In general I think this is an improvement.
>> There is a proliferation of uniform* and vertexAttrib* entry points,
>> but perhaps we could abbreviate those. For example:
>>
>>    void uniform1f(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLfloat x)
>>    void uniform1i(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLint x)
>>    void uniform2f(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLfloat x, GLfloat y)
>>    void uniform2i(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLint x, GLint y)
>>    void uniform3f(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLfloat x, GLfloat
>> y, GLfloat z)
>>    void uniform3i(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLint x, GLint y, GLint z)
>>    void uniform4f(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLfloat x, GLfloat
>> y, GLfloat z, GLfloat w)
>>    void uniform4i(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLint x, GLint y,
>> GLint z, GLint w)
>>    void uniform[1234]fv(WebGLUniformLocation location, WebGLFloatArray v)
>>    void uniform[1234]fv(WebGLUniformLocation location, sequence<float> v)
>>    void uniform[1234]iv(WebGLUniformLocation location, WebGLIntArray v)
>>    void uniform[1234]iv(WebGLUniformLocation location, sequence<long> v)
>

> This is a big improvement. Thanks, Ken.

You're welcome. What do you think about using the above shorthand for
the uniform and other entry points?

> I notice there are still a few bad "OpenGL Man Page" links. I'll fix these later today.
>
> Also, I seem to remember that we talked about collapsing getString into getParameter. Did we decide to do that?

I don't remember whether this was decided in the working group, but we
didn't discuss it on the public list.

It would seem to make the API more consistent. Other thoughts?